- Pour 1 cup milk and cornstarch in medium bowl, and whisk until combined.
- In separate bowl combine sugar and egg yolks, and whisk together until smooth and pale.
- Pour remaining milk into medium pot and heat until just about to simmer, then slowly ladle 1½ cups milk into egg mixture, a little at a time whisking constantly to keep eggs from scrambling.
- Reduce heat to low, and then slowly pour egg mixture into pot of remaining milk, whisking constantly. Add cornstarch and milk mixure to pot while continuing to whisk then stir every 3 minutes until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove pot from heat, add almonds extract and butter, and mix until butter is melted. Strain custard, and pour into desired serving dishes. Cover, and place in refrigerator until set about 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle Budino with crumbled Chocolate Shortbread and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Whisk to combine remaining ingredients, and then add to mixer. Mix until dough forms.
- Place on lightly floured work surface, and roll until ¼-inch thick. Place on parchment lined sheet pan, and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool then break into pieces, and store in sealed container.
Chef note: The recipe uses grams, because weight is always a more precise and consistent measurement than volume.