- For fried legs, soak legs in buttermilk with 1 tablespoon salt, cayenne, paprika, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, season breasts with salt and pepper. Then in a cast iron pan set over medium heat, sear breasts in olive oil. Cook for about 6−8 minutes, until cooked through.
- Season the ground rice or flour with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Coat legs and fry in a cast iron skillet until golden brown and cooked through.
- For carrots, heat carrot juice in a saucepot over medium heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Add lime juice and pour over shaved carrots in a mixing bowl. Allow to marinate. Pull out shaved baby carrots, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- For Meyer lemon purée, bring the Meyer lemon juice and zest to a low simmer in a saucepot and reduce. Add sugar and salt and transfer to a blender. Purée until smooth.
- Sauté Swiss chard in olive oil with salt and pepper. Fry eggs in a skillet and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spread Meyer lemon purée onto 4 plates. Top with sautéed Swiss chard, a quail breast, fried quail leg, a fried quail egg (if desired), and carrot salad.