Beet Cauliflower Croquette
- Mash beets and potato and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to sizzle and color deepens, add onion and sauté until pink. Add cauliflower and sauté for about 2–3 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears, about 1½ minutes. Add turmeric, coriander, cumin, and chili powder, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Mix in garam masala and dry mango powder and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once onion mixture has cooled, mix in mashed beets. To this add bread crumbs, chilies, chopped coriander leaves, and salt. Mix well.
- Form flattened croquettes. Coat in semolina, making sure that both sides are covered well.
- To cook, place 2–3 patties on a hot griddle, drizzling a teaspoon of oil around edges of each individual patty. Cook until side turns golden brown and crisp, then gently flip and drizzle a teaspoon of oil around edges of other side. Cook until crisp and golden brown, around 4–5 minutes.
- Serve over black-eyed pea and collard green curry (recipe follows).
Black-Eyed Pea and Collard Green Curry
- Grind onion, tomato, garlic-ginger paste, and coconut to a smooth paste. Reserve.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds. When they splutter, add paste, all spices, and salt as needed and cook until oil separates. Stir frequently.
- Add cooked peas, water, and collard greens. Cook over low heat for about 1 hour.