- In a mixing bowl, proof yeast in 120-degree water until it starts to foam.
- Using the dough hook of the mixer, mix half the flour into the yeast/water mixture.
- Add the salt and olive oil and the remaining flour and knead with the dough hook until elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside and let rest for at least 30 minutes before dividing and rolling.
- Divide dough into 4 4-ounce pieces and roll each into an 8-inch circle.
Spiced Onion Filling
- Sauté onions in butter over medium heat until translucent. Add all seasonings except cilantro and cook slowly for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Let cool.
- To build Berber pies, brush the surface of the bottom crust with extra virgin olive oil.
- Spread on the cooled spiced onions, leaving a 1⁄4-inch border. Lay the ham on top and then spread fig jam over the ham.
- Lay the top crust over the filling and crimp the edge of the bottom crust over the top crust. Cut a couple of slits in the top crust for steam to escape.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake pies (preferably on a baking stone) for about 6−8 minutes, until crusts are golden brown.
- Brush with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Let sit for a couple of minutes. Cut into wedges.