Haseler gives poutine—the Canadian bar food of French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy—an Irish slant by replacing fries with the Irish potato pancake “boxty” (meaning “poor house bread”). “I use both mashed and shredded potatoes so it doesn’t turn into latkes. The warm cheese breaks up the texture and softens the palate.”
- Finely chop garlic in food processor. Add brown sugar, mustard, oil, black pepper, ground mustard, allspice, cayenne, and ¼ cup salt. Process until smooth. Rub spice mixture all over brisket, working into crevices.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Scatter onions in large roasting pan and set brisket, fat side up, on top. Add beer and cover with foil.
- Braise until meat is very tender, 5 to 6 hours. Let brisket cool slightly. Remove from pan and shred or slice. Remove onions with slotted spoon and mix into brisket. Taste and moisten with cooking liquid and season as needed.
Boxty with Irish Cheese Curds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Chop 1 pound potatoes into large dice, place in medium saucepan, salt generously, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate remaining 1 pound potatoes on box grater (using large hole side). Toss with ¼ teaspoon salt and place in fine mesh strainer set over medium bowl. Set aside.
- When boiled potatoes are ready, drain, return them to pot, add ¼ cup milk, and mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Remove excess liquid from grated potatoes and cheese curds by squeezing with paper towels, kitchen towel, or your hands. Add grated potatoes, curds, and chives to mashed potatoes.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining milk, rice flour, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth, about 10 seconds. Mix milk/flour mixture with potato mixture.
- Heat large, nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat. When hot, add enough butter to lightly coat. Drop 3 dollops (about ¼ cup each) batter into pan and spread each to about ¼-inch thick. Cook until pancake bottoms are golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook other side until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes more. Place on baking sheet and keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter and batter. Serve warm.
- Massage kale for 2 minutes.
- Combine lemon, mustard, and salt. Slowly add oil until it comes together.
- Toss kale in vinaigrette.
- Cook eggs sunny side up.
- Place boxty on 6 to 8 plates, top with healthy amount of shredded brisket, kale salad, and egg.