- Place garlic cloves and cayenne in a wide pot with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Place over medium- high heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer. Add octopus and cook for about 45 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Once octopus is cooked, cook the pasta until slightly under al dente.
- Strain pasta and add to the braised octopus-tomato mixture.
- Add Calabrian chilies, remaining olive oil, butter, basil leaves, and lemon juice.
- Divide among 4 plates, topping each with breadcrumbs and lemon zest.
- Place butter and olive oil in a sauté pan with the garlic. Place over medium-high heat and bloom the garlic until golden brown.
- Remove garlic and add breadcrumbs. Toss frequently until golden. Season with chili flakes, lemon zest, and salt. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, store in a sealed container at room temperature.