- Preheat oven to 350 degrees in convection oven or 375 degrees in conventional oven.
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper, 2 teaspoons creole seasoning, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Sauté diced onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes into ¼-inch pieces and lightly pan fry in 2 tablespoons olive oil until slightly crispy. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon creole seasoning and set aside.
- Cut corn kernels off the cobs and set aside.
- Cut shortening into dry ingredients using fingertips until pea-size flakes form.
- Add 2 cups of buttermilk, 1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce, potatoes, onion and garlic, diced veggies, corn, and cheese. Mix by hand until just blended.
- Dump dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Pat into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Use a floured knife to cut into 12 squares. Put biscuits on a greased sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Blend ¼ cup buttermilk with 1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce and brush onto biscuits. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes. Rotate pan. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until golden. Brush with melted butter. Serve with a small dollop of whipped creole butter!
- Whip the ingredients until blended. Chill in fridge until needed.