- Bring to boil both milks plus cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla bean, salt, and lemon peel. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and let steep 30 minutes.
- Strain milk mixture and whip in eggs. This is your custard.
- Place slices of bread in custard and let soak 2½ hours, turning bread every half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat medium pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. Once butter is melted, add one slice bread and sear on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and bread. Place both slices of French toast on cookie sheet and bake 8–10 minutes.
- Place hot French toast on plate. Dust with powdered sugar. Spoon maple syrup around bottom of French toast. Finish with dollop of whipped crème fraîche and sprinkle of toasted almonds. Arrange blood orange slices on top and serve.
Whipped Crème Fraîche
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl and mix with electric mixer to soft peaks.