- Heat oil in a large skillet and sweat garlic and shallots for about 2 minutes.
- Add sliced pork and cook on high heat for about five minutes. Add fish sauce and brown sugar and let cook for another 5 minutes, allowing it to caramelize (be careful not to burn).
- Lastly add water, reducing heat to medium. Cook for 20−25 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by a third. Add black pepper at very end.
- To assemble bahn mi, spread aioli on baguette then begin layering with warmed caramel pork, slices of cucumber, and jalapenos. Top with pickled carrots and cilantro.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Rinse carrots in water.
- Combine white vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cover carrots with pickling liquid, and let sit overnight.