- Place chicken in large pot and cover with stock. Boil on high heat for approximately 45 minutes or until chicken is falling off bone.
- Strain stock, reserving carcass and meat.
- Return stock to pot and place over medium-high heat. Season to taste.
- Pick chicken meat, discarding skin and bones, and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and herbs. Make a well in center of flour and slowly add melted butter and buttermilk. Incorporate wet with dry with a spoon until wet biscuit dough forms.
- Bring stock to a simmer and find spot in pot where simmer is strongest. Use serving spoons to drop dumplings into or around strong simmer spot. Once 90 percent of surface of stock is covered with dumplings, reduce heat to medium-low. Turn dumplings after approximately 5–7 minutes to cook on other side.
- Make hole in “dumpling cover” and slide pulled chicken and vegetables into soup, trying not to disturb other dumplings. Cook for another 7–10 minutes and enjoy.