- Prepare salsa and pico de gallo (directions below)
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, shallot, chile flakes, thyme, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add chicken breasts to bowl, and rub with mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook. (May be seasoned and refrigerated the day before.)
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast halves a few at a time in batches (don’t crowd the pan). When cooked, finely shred meat.
- Combine salsa and pulled chicken meat in skillet and stir. Add onion, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until heated through, taking care that sauce doesn’t get too thick.
- Spoon the chicken mixture over fried corn tortillas. Garnish each tostada with avocado slices, crumbled Cotija cheese, Pico de Gallo, shredded iceberg lettuce, crema fresca, and a squeeze of lime.
Charred Tomato and Chipotle Salsa
Yield: approximately 2 cups
- In an ungreased heavy skillet medium-high heat, char tomatoes, garlic, onion, and pepper until nicely browned. Remove and discard some of the large charred pieces of skin.
- Transfer charred vegetable mixture to blender along with chicken stock and blend until smooth.
- Transfer sauce from blender to skillet. Add canola oil and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Pico de Gallo
- Combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño peppers. Add salt and lime juice.