- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fl uffy. Add vanilla,and salt, beat until combined. Add fl our and beat just until fl our is incorporated into butter.
- Shape dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and chill 30 minutes. Roll dough out on a lightly fl oured surface, and use a fl oured cutter to cut out shortbread people, gathering scraps to re-roll and cut the cookies until all dough has been used. Chill on cookie sheet for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place each cookie about 1 to 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cookies are just beginning to set. Let cool slightly on sheet, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Dip bottom half of each cookie in chocolate, and place on a tray lined with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle each cookie with peppermint candy. Do this quickly, enough that chocolate doesn’t harden.