- In a large saucepot over medium heat, add chorizo, onions, and bacon. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. Strain and reserve potlikker juice (juice from collards). Set mixture in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Fill each empanada dough with about 2 ounces of mixture and fold. Bake for 8 minutes and serve.
Serve empanadas with the potlikker juice reduced in half. Add some pickled red onions, pickled carrots, and pickled jalapenos to garnish.
- Mix dry ingredients. Add lard and cut with pastry cutter or two knives until course and meal-like.
- Whisk egg and water together and add to flour mixture. Mix well. Roll out to ¾ inch thickness then cut into 5 inch circles with cookie cutter.