- In a Dutch oven, render bacon fat with oil.
- When fat is rendered, add jalapeño, followed by the next 8 ingredients. Sauté briskly. Add crushed red pepper.
- Add tomatoes and tomato purée. Reduce heat and add bay leaves. Add herbs and simmer.
- In separate large pot, bring fish stock and clam juice just to a boil. Quickly strain mixture into the simmering soup.
- Add conch meat and potatoes. Add hot sauce to taste, boil, then serve or chill for later use.
Note: The Local Palate does not normally advocate the use of frozen or imported seafood. We make exception only for a dish such as this one—a dish with a rich history and one emblematic of a region in the South. Feel free to substitute clam meat for conch meat in an effort to be more sustainable.