- To cure duck legs, mix sugar, salt, juniper berries, and bay leaf. Season legs with cure and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- For confit, remove duck from fridge. Rinse thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large stockpot, submerge legs in the duck fat and simmer for 4 hours or until tender. Remove from heat. Allow legs to cool in duck fat.
- For celery root goat cheese purée, sauté celery root in butter until tender. Add heavy cream and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add goat cheese.
- Purée in a blender until smooth and salt to taste.
- For beet salad, combine greens with beets. Toss with oil, lemon, chestnuts, salt, and pepper.
- Remove duck from duck fat and crisp in a non-stick pan over medium heat with canola oil.
- Warm celery root purée in sauté pan and divide onto 4 plates (this is base of dish). Place beet salad atop purée and top with duck leg confit.
*To roast beets, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast whole for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Once cooled, peel and quarter.
**Chestnuts must be scored with a knife before roasting to prevent exploding in oven. Roast at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to cool, then peel and chop.