- Mix salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves in bowl.
- Pour about half of mixture in nonreactive dish. (A medium size Pyrex dish large enough to hold 12 eggs works very well.)
- Make 12 small indentions in salt mixture to hold yolks.
- Carefully separate yolk from egg white and place each one into spot in salt mixture. Cover yolks with remaining salt mixture.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 days.
- Remove eggs from salt mixture and shake off any excess cure. They should feel pretty firm by this point.
- Place yolks, upside down from how they sat in cure, on parchment-lined sheet pan and allow yolks to sit out and dry overnight.
- Place in airtight container until ready to use, then grate, using a coarse microplane, onto veggies, pasta, etc. Will keep up to a week.
OTHER WAYS TO TOP IT WITH AN EGG /// “Chicken” Caesar Salad with Schmaltz Dressing, Poached Egg, and Crispy Chicken Skin / Baked Kale and Eggs