Add a bit of cream to the pan after you’ve sautéed the sausage to deglaze so you don’t lose all the deliciousness in the brown bits.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place brioche cubes in a single layer on a sheet tray and bake until firm and dry, about 30 minutes.
- While bread is drying, brown sausage over medium heat until cooked through. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9-cup casserole dish by lightly greasing with butter. Build bread pudding in dish by adding in single layers: brioche, sausage, kale, squash.
- Whisk together eggs, yolks, and cream. Season to taste and pour over the assembled ingredients (custard mixture will not cover rest of ingredients; press down lightly to help bread absorb the liquid and let rest 20 minutes).
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until top of casserole is brown and begins to puff (when eggs are set).