- Sauté onion, garlic, chicken, tasso, and collards in olive oil until warmed through. Remove from heat and spread onto a sheet pan to cool. Once cooled, squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Lay egg roll wrappers out in a diamond pattern on a surface dusted with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Scoop ¾ cup filling onto center of each wrapper.
- Place 1 cup cornstarch in a bowl and slowly add water, stirring to a completely smooth paste. Lightly brush edges of wrappers with cornstarch mixture. Starting with bottom, fold all sides into center except top. Brush top triangle with cornstarch mixture, roll from bottom, and seal. Lightly coat with cornstarch mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a frying pan to 335 degrees and fry egg rolls in 2 batches. While in oil, turn frequently, until rolls are golden brown and crispy. Remove rolls from oil and place on paper towels to drain. Serve immediately with red pepper sauce and your favorite spicy mustard and peach chutney.
Red Pepper Sauce
Yield: 3½ cups
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add 1¼ cups of stock, stirring vigorously until broth thickens.
- Slowly add remaining stock, pimientos, and basil, stirring constantly until broth thickens to a sauce. Bring to a low boil, then simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Skim top as needed. Remove from heat and cool, stirring occasionally.
- Purée until smooth. Season to taste.