- In a large pot, cook beets in water with vinegar and salt until cooked through. If using various types, cook different colors separately, as red beets will stain all other beets.
- Drain water and immediately transfer beets to a mixing bowl. Wrap bowl in plastic and allow to cool slightly. While still warm but no longer too hot to handle, use paper towels to remove skin from beets. Cut beets into small oblique cuts. Again, keep red beets separate.
- In a small sauté pan, heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, and cook until they sputter. Sprinkle in asafoetida and toast until
- Add coconut and toast until lightly browned. Add this mixture into the yogurt and let cool. Remove curry leaves and reserve yogurt mixture.
- Whisk oil with vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. Dress beets with vinaigrette.
- To serve, arrange dressed beets on a plate with dollops of yogurt. Top with sliced Serranos and sprinkle with toasted cumin.