Field Pea Cakes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Scrape into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add 1½ cups of the field peas, salt, and pepper. Pulse to finely chop. Scrape into a bowl. Stir in the remaining 1½ cups of field peas and ½ cup of the breadcrumbs.
- Set up a dredging station by pouring the flour into a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs until well combined in a second shallow bowl. Pour the remaining 1 cup of breadcrumbs into a third shallow bowl.
- Form the bean mixture into small cakes that are about 2½ inches in diameter and ¾ inch thick. Lightly and evenly coat each cake in flour, then in egg, and then in breadcrumbs, pressing gently to help the crumbs adhere. Set them aside in a single layer. 4. Fill the skillet with oil to a depth of ¼ inch. Heat over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Cook the patties in two or three batches until browned and crispy, turning once with a spatula, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with the tomato jam.
- Pour the tomatoes and their liquid into a medium saucepan. Crush the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Add the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens and reduces to the consistency of jam, about 45 minutes. Cool, cover, and refrigerate for up to one month.