- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil or regular aluminum foil misted with nonstick spray. Arrange the ham slices in a single layer. Roast until the ham begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool on the pan. The ham will continue to crisp at it cools.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the foam subsides, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the okra, corn, and peas. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook without stirring for 10 minutes. (Letting the okra cook for a while before stirring reduces the stringiness from its juices.) Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the basil and enough crème fraîche to make a little sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper and a wee pinch of cayenne. Keep warm over low heat while the biscuits bake.
- To serve, split the biscuits and place on serving plates. Top each biscuit half with a piece of ham. Spoon the warm succotash over the top and serve at once.