These biscuits are a staple in the restaurant; we change them seasonally. Sometimes they are rosemary, sometimes sweet potato; right now they are served warm and slathered with jam and ham.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and butter in large mixing bowl and blend until butter is size of black-eyed peas.
- Add buttermilk to mixture, mixing until dough forms.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and roll to ½ inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits using 3-inch cutter, dipping cutter in flour before cutting each biscuit.
- Place biscuits on parchment-lined sheet pan. Place in refrigerator to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix together egg and milk in small bowl, then brush onto biscuits. Bake 9–12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and brush with melted butter.