- Mix the rice wine vinegar, basil, sugar, and water together.
- Slice the green tomatoes evenly with a sharp knife.
- Place tomatoes, layered evenly, in a casserole dish and cover with marinade.
- Let tomatoes marinate for about 20 minutes, then drain in a colander for approximately 5 minutes.
For the Breading
- In a bowl, mix eggs with buttermilk, then fill two additional bowls with flour and breadcrumbs respectively.
- Lay the green tomatoes out on a cutting board and season with kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper.
- Carefully place a seasoned tomato in the flour. Lift it out and shake off the excess flour.
- Then, dredge the tomato into the buttermilk/egg mixture and remove it. Let some of the egg wash slide off.
- Place the tomato into the bread crumbs and thoroughly coat. Lay the breaded tomatoes on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Fry in vegetable oil at 350 degrees until golden brown. Drain on brown paper bags and serve immediately.