- Make the pastry dough; cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add apple, pineapple, and chiles. Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Let cool, cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide into 6 balls. Sprinkle a surface with remaining flour and roll into ⅛-inch-thick circles.
- Place a spoonful of filling in center of each circle. Fold over pastry, seal edges, and crimp. Brush tops and edges with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cut several air vents on top of each.
- Place pastries on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 30–35 minutes.
- Make lime zest glaze by placing confectioners’ sugar, milk, and zest in a bowl and whisking until smooth. Let rest 5 minutes, then drizzle over turnovers.
Note: Alternately, turnovers may be deep-fried in vegetable oil at 375 degrees until golden on all sides. For frying, omit egg wash and do not cut vents. Sprinkle with sugar after frying.
Buttery Pastry Dough
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add butter, kneading into flour until coarse crumbs form.
- Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, kneading after each addition until all water is absorbed and dough just holds together.
- Gather into a ball, cover in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Yield: Dough for 6 turnovers