Spicy Shrimp Crust
- Heat oil in large pan set over medium-high heat. Fry shrimp paste, garlic, ginger, and shallots in oil (be careful as it may splatter) until golden brown.
- Add chili paste and breadcrumbs and stir continuously until breadcrumbs are evenly browned. Once breadcrumbs are golden brown, remove pan from heat, mix in cilantro, and season to taste with salt. Adjust heat by adding more chili paste, if desired.
- Cover rice in water and soak for at least 1 hour and as long as overnight.
- Set pot of water with steamer basket and lid over high heat and bring to a boil. Place soaked rice into steamer basket and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
Green Garlic Coconut Milk
- Cut tops off green garlic and place tops in blender with ½ can (8 ounces) coconut milk. Reserve garlic bottoms for later. Purée tops and coconut milk until smooth.
- Fold in remaining coconut milk and purée again until fully mixed.
To Assemble and Serve
- In a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan set over medium-high heat, render bacon with ¼ cup canola oil until golden brown. Remove to paper towel-lined tray and reserve.
- Add green garlic segments and turnip pieces to pan, sprinkle lightly with salt, and roast until golden brown and tender through, about 6 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium pot set over medium heat. Sweat garlic and shallot in oil, about 1 minute, then add steamed Sticky Rice to pot, followed by chicken stock. Heat rice slowly, stirring often, until heated through and bubbling.
- Fold 2 cups Green Garlic Coconut Milk into rice and season to taste with salt.
- Remove roasted vegetables from pan and reserve with bacon.
- Raise heat of sauté pan to high, season oysters lightly with salt, and add carefully to hot pan. Let oysters roast about 1 minute, then carefully turn each over and roast for 1 additional minute. Then, turn heat to low and add roasted green garlic, turnips, and bacon back to pan along with remaining Green Garlic Coconut Milk and reserved oyster liquor. Heat pan just until vegetables are warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- To finish, divide Sticky Rice between 6 bowls, top each rice bowl with a few oysters, turnips and green garlic pieces, and some green garlic sauce. Sprinkle each bowl liberally with Spicy Shrimp Crust and serve hot.