For Spice Bundle
- Over low heat, toast all spices in a saucepan, then remove from heat and bundle together in a cheesecloth.
- In a medium sized pot, add olive oil and sautée onions, garlic, chili, and ginger.
- Add spice bundle and rest of ingredients and simmer until thick, approximately 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Season green tomato slices with salt and pepper and sear each slice for one minute per side. Set side on a paper towel.
- Heat another large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Sear each slice of cheese on each side until outside is golden brown and inside is soft and heated through. (This cheese is typically packaged in a brine, so there is no need for extra salt.)
- Divide daal into four bowls. In center of bowl, layer a slice of green tomato and halloumi cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pita bread and fresh herbs.