- For grits, bring water, cream, butter, and Old Bay to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Bring to a boil again and reduce immediately to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally so as not to scorch the bottom of the pan, until creamy, about 20−25 minutes. Fold in cheddar cheese.
- For orange sauce, reduce all ingredients in a saucepan until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Sauté spinach with butter until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- For quail, prepare grill to medium-high heat. In a shallow dish, drizzle oil over quail to completely cover birds. Season with salt and pepper and grill over medium-high heat for about 2½ minutes on each side.
- To serve, place a spoonful of grits in center of each plate and top with quail. Serve with sautéed spinach and drizzled with orange sauce.