Twice Cooked Pork
- Pour vinegar over pork, squeeze citrus on top and sprinkle with salt. Let rest for at least one hour (two is better). Drain.
- Make a blended marinade from the other Place pork into a mixing bowl. Combine remaining ingredients and then rub into pork. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least two to three hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pork into a pan, top with lid, and place in oven. Braise three to four hours or until meat is soft and falling apart. Do not add water or liquid.
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- From this point the pork can be coated in a flour and spice mix and fried crispy, oven baked (the healthier version) or simply enjoyed as is.
(Spicy Caribbean Coleslaw)
“This dish is a spicy, bright, citrusy and fruity Caribbean coleslaw traditionally served with rich meats, stews or fried foods.”
– Chef Paul Yellin
- Heat vinegar over medium heat, and add brown sugar to pot. Stir to dissolve.
- Assemble cabbage, carrot, mango, pineapple, red onion, chives and red pepper in a mixing bowl and pour vinegar/brown sugar mixture over vegetables. Allow mixture to marinate.
- Add salt, habanero peppers and lime juice to taste. Stir slaw several times over an hour, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.