- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease well a 8×11 baking dish or a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Place about ½ the sugar in a food processor with habanero pepper. Pulse until the peppers are evenly blended into the sugar, creating the sweet and spicy backbone to this recipe.
- In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, cream all the sugar, habanero pepper, eggs, and vegetable oil on medium speed until mixture is a pale yellow and of frothy consistency.
- Sift together all dry ingredients. Slowly add the sifted dry ingredients to the frothy wet mixture; the mixture will become a rich chocolaty paste.
- In two parts, with mixer still running, add sour cream to soften up the paste. Scrape down the sides of the bowl often to be certain the mixture is smooth.
- Add buttermilk to finish the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30−40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before enjoying!
Note: For added texture, you can fold ½ cup−1 cup chocolate chips into the batter before baking.