- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough to a fit into a 9-inch pie pan with a little overhang. Transfer dough to pie pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except hickory nuts. Mix until uniform.
- Pour hickory nuts evenly over pie dough that is fitted in the pie pan. Pour filling over nuts.
- Bake 40–45 minutes, or until filling has set. Allow to cool 30–45 minutes before serving.
- Sift flour, salt, sugar, and cornmeal together into a large mixing bowl.
- Add lard and work it into dry ingredients with your fingers until well incorporated. Repeat with butter, and then transfer contents of bowl to a food processor.
- Pulse 3-4 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Return mixture to bowl, add buttermilk and cider vinegar, and stir until it begins to come together to form a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough into a coherent shape, folding it over itself in order to give crust a layered, flaky texture.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface, and roll into a 12 inches circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Lightly flour top of crust and carefully roll it onto the rolling pin. Unroll it over a 9-inch pie pan and crimp the edges. Refrigerate until ready to use.