- Preheat oven to 450 degrees—Coat the inside of a heavy black muffin tin or a 10-inch cast iron skillet with some of the bacon fat and butter and heat the pan in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift dry ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg and add the milks.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Remove tin from oven when very hot and pour any excess fat into the cornmeal mixture, along with the remaining butter and bacon fat. Stir until combined and pour into tin or skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Turn onto wire rack to cool.