- Break stems off corn. Peel husks until only 2 layers remain. Reserve husks; do not discard.
- Place corn in a steamer over boiling water. Cover with reserved husks, forming a thick blanket. Cook until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- When done, remove husks and silk and place corn horizontally on a work surface. Insert skewers into corn deep enough so corn is firm on the stick, approximately 2 inches. Corn will be very hot. Use paper towels to hold.
- Liberally squeeze lime juice on corn until dripping. Without shaking lime juice off, sprinkle salt on corn al gusto (to taste).
- Spread mayonnaise on a sheet of aluminum foil. Roll corn in mayonnaise until fully dressed. Wipe excess mayonnaise off corn on a clean section of foil, leaving a very thin layer on corn.
- Spread Cotija cheese on waxed paper. Roll corn in cheese until fully covered. Tap end of corn on work surface to remove excess.
- Sprinkle chile pequín sparingly over corn to taste. Eat like a popsicle. Garnish with lime slices if desired.