- If using Fire & Flavor’s brine, prepare according to package directions. If making your own, in large stock pot set over medium heat, dissolve salt, sugar, and syrup in 4 quarts of water. Stir in zest, thyme, and pepper; set aside to cool.
- Place turkey, breast side down, in brining bag and set inside roasting pan or ice filled cooler for support.
- Pour brine and 4 quarts of ice water into bag, seal tightly, removing excess air. Brine in refrigerator or ice filled cooler for 1 hour per pound of turkey. Do not brine longer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position rack in lower third of oven. Remove turkey from brine, rinse if desired, and pat dry. Rub outer skin with oil and spice rub from kit (if using), or your own blend of spices. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before roasting.
- Place turkey on a V rack set inside roasting pan. Tuck wing tips behind back and loosely tie legs together. Roast turkey for about 2 ½ hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted between leg and thigh registers 165 degrees. If using glaze, brush turkey with ¼ cup of glaze, and roast for 15 minutes, until skin begins to brown. Brush with remaining glaze and roast for about 15 minutes longer, until the skin is deep gold and thermometer inserted between the leg and thigh registers 175 degrees.
- Transfer the turkey to a carving board, let rest for 30-40 minutes before carving.