- Melt 1 pound butter in saucepan slowly over medium-high to medium heat.
- Once melted, poach rutabaga and uncooked potato in butter over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
- In large pot, combine beer, 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and spices together and bring to boil.
- In food processor or blender, while still hot, puree baked potatoes until smooth.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment or with spoon, combine beer mixture and potato puree with flour and garlic. Begin mixing on low, add one egg at a time as well as a little of cheddar.
- Once everything is combined, transfer to piping bag or plastic bag. Pipe little round balls on a mound of flour with a 2-inch layer above and surrounding each ball.
- Allow gnocchi balls to sit overnight. After resting, remove from flour and dust off any excess.
- In heavy bottom pan, heat water on high until it boils. Cook gnocchi balls in water until they float.
- Meanwhile, heat sauté pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Remove gnocchi and add to heated pan and caramelize. Add gnocchi to poached potato and rutabaga as well as cheddar sauce and pickled apple jam. Serve immediately.
- In pot, melt butter then whisk in flour to make roux. Cook about 5 minutes on very low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and beer in separate pot. Once heated, whisk into flour mixture. Cook additional 15 minutes on low heat stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in cheddar and mustard powder then season to taste with salt.
Pickled Apple Jam
- Combine apples, shallots, mustard seeds, vinegars, sugar, and salt in pot.
- Add water and cook until liquid has evaporated, 15-20 minutes. Cool immediately. Store in air tight container for up to 3 days.