- Allow shrimp to warm to room temperature.
- Combine poaching liquid ingredients in a small pot and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Poach shrimp in the liquid for 90 seconds, then drain in a colander and let cool.
- Combine all wet ingredients of pickling mix in a mixing bowl with bay leaves, thyme, and garlic.
- Add remaining spices to the mixing bowl, along with the shrimp.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (up to 6 hours).
- Combine all ingredients except cucumbers in a bowl with the hot water, making sure the sugar and salt is well dissolved.
- Add the ½ pound sliced cucumbers and toss, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1(up to 24 hours).
Note: Hold the cucumber ribbons and moons in a covered dish in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl combine all the cucumbers and season with salt and pepper.
- Mound the cucumbers on each plate, then place the broken crackers around and over the cucumbers.
- Top with the drained pickled shrimp.
- Drizzle each plate with 1 tablespoon pickling liquid from the shrimp.