For the Red Velvet Cake:
Chef’s note: The ingredients for this gluten-free cake are measured in grams for greater precision. Adding frozen cake pieces to frozen gelato ensures that the gelato does not melt and the cake does not become soggy or deteriorate.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees. In a dry bowl, whisk together rice flour, potato and tapioca starches, cocoa powder, salt, xanthan gum, and baking soda, then set aside.
- Mix red food coloring into buttermilk; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat oil and sugar on second speed for 4 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing on first speed for 1 minute, then switch to second speed for additional 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add half of dry mix, then buttermilk/red food coloring, then rest of dry mix. After incorporated, mix on second speed for 2 minutes.
- On a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, spread the batter evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 24 minutes, rotating halfway through. When cake springs back to the touch, remove and cool.
- Cut into bite size chunks and freeze.
For the Cream Cheese Gelato Base:
- Whisk yolks and sugar until light and fluffy; set aside.
- In a saucepot over medium-low heat, combine milk, heavy cream, and salt. Heat until barely simmering but not boiling.
- Slowly pour hot liquid mixture into sugared yolks, whisking rapidly to prevent scrambling.
- Return mixture to the saucepot over low heat. While continuously stirring with a wooden spoon, watch closely as the mixture begins to thicken into a custard. Once thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese until fully incorporated.
- With a fine mesh sieve, strain mixture into a bowl and place over an ice water bath, stirring occasionally until chilled to prevent a skin from developing. Place in refrigerator with plastic wrap over surface until ready to spin.
- Prepare gelato machine as instructed and follow manufacturer’s directions for spinning frozen desserts.
To assemble: When spinning is complete, transfer gelato to a chilled bowl and fold in the red velvet chunks. Store in a chilled container.