For the Gnocchi
- Combine ricotta and egg to form a loose paste.
- Turn out onto a cutting board, and add flour until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll into ropes the thickness of a double-A battery.
- Cut into small dumplings and blanch in salted boiling water.
- When gnocchis float, pull out of water with a spider strainer or slotted spoon, and rest on an oiled cookie sheet. Once pasta is cool, toss with oil.
- When you are ready to serve, sauté on medium high heat till golden brown and serve with your favorite sauce.
For the Ricotta
- Heat ingredients until just beginning to curdle.
- Once curdling begins, turn off heat and let sit until curds are fully formed.
- Strain through a piece of cheesecloth and refrigerate curd till cool.
Note: Save whey (the liquid left over from this process) to use to cook grains or tenderize meat.