- To cook the beans, drain them and place in a small pot. Cover beans with water, place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Skim the foam, reduce heat to a light simmer, and season with 1 tablespoon of salt. Simmer until tender, stirring occasionally, and keep them covered with hot water. Be patient as this can take a while. Note: beans can be prepared 3 days ahead, only save enough cooking liquid to just cover the beans.
- To make bread crumbs, preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread crumbled bread on a baking sheet and bake until completely dry. Place a sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and then add the dry bread. Toast, stirring constantly, until deep golden brown. Season with salt and dry on a paper towel. Note: bread crumbs can be made ahead and can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- To roast cauliflower, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and olive oil and roast for 10–15 minutes, until charred and tender. Set aside.
- To assemble dish, sweat onion over medium-high heat in a soup pot until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the oregano and chili flakes and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add sausage and smash it while it cooks with the back of a wooden spoon. Simmer until just cooked, 1–3 minutes.
- Add beans with their cooking liquid, then add roasted cauliflower. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls, drizzle with oil, and top with bread crumbs.