- Toss sliced fennel with the ½ tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add another 1½ tablespoons of oil to a large sauté pan placed over medium high heat. Add fennel to the hot oil and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove and place in an 8X8” casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, and sausage. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon.
- Once sausage starts to brown, add sliced garlic, thyme, and rosemary and continue to cook for another two minutes. Do not let garlic brown or it will turn bitter.
- Add vermouth and cook until it is fully evaporated. Add heavy cream and salt and bring to simmer.
- Pour mixture over the top of the fennel in the casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until cream reduces by abouby Chef Alon Shaya t half.