- Season duck with salt and pepper. Smoke at 215 degrees for 30 minutes (again, this step can be done on a grill with wood chips in an aluminum pan and duck next to pan. To control heat, only turn on the of grill that has the wood chips. Close lid to smoke).
- Score the skin of the duck. In a cast iron skillet set over medium-low heat, place the breasts skin side down and allow the fat to render, cooking the duck breasts. Remove from the pan when the internal temperature reaches 130−135 degrees.
- For parsnip purée, add parsnips, cream, water, vanilla pod, and seeds to a saucepan. Add salt to taste and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until parsnips are tender. Remove from heat and purée. Pour through a chinois and season to taste.
- For farro, bring farro and stock to a boil in a pot. Reduce to a simmer, uncover, and allow to cook for about 30 minutes. Drain and season to taste with salt and pepper. Then in a sauté pan set over high heat add coconut oil and toast the farro.
- To serve, divide farro among four plates. Top each with a duck breast and drizzle with parsnip purée.