- Have your deli or grocer slice a log of good quality smoked provolone into ½-inch thick rounds; they will be about 2 ounces each and should be the size of a small saucer (about 4 inches in diameter). Note: Using standard sandwich slices of provolone will result in the cheese burning instead of melting so be sure to get thick slices cut.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place a slice of provolone in a small, ovenproof container ideally the same size around as cheese. Heat cheese until it begins to melt and bubble, about 4 minutes. Remove pan and top each round with a hefty tablespoon of Broccoli Rabe Pesto. Serve hot with warm, rustic bread for dipping.
Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Yield: 1 pint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread pine nuts evenly on cookie sheet and toast in oven for 4 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Do not scorch. Immediately transfer pine nuts to plate to cool.
- Bring a medium stock pot of water to a boil (about 4 quarts). While water is heating, prepare an ice bath by filling a large mixing bowl halfway with ice and topping with enough water to make ice float.
- When water boils, drop broccoli rabe into pot and boil for 6 seconds. It should be bright green but still crisp. Use tongs to remove broccoli rabe from boiling water and transfer to ice water bath.
- Pulse pine nuts and garlic in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Drain broccoli rabe and add, along with parsley, and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in olive oil, asiago, and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.