- Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour with salt and pepper to create seasoned flour and whisk together eggs and buttermilk to make egg wash.
- To make panko breading mixture, mix panko with remaining ingredients except tomatoes in a food processor until crumbly (do not over mix).
- Wearing gloves to make the affair less messy, place 3 or 4 slices of tomato at a time in the seasoned flour (coating each side evenly), then the egg wash, then the panko mixture, making sure the mixture thoroughly coats each tomato slice.
- Repeat until all tomato slices are breaded.
- Place several paper towels on a plate.
- Fry 4 or 5 tomato slices at a time for about 2 minutes, remove from fryer, and place on paper towels to drain. Repeat until all slices are fried.
- Serve with pickled okra, pimiento cheese, and shaved country ham or use in place of tomato on a BLT. They are also delicious sliced in half and served topped with a dollop of Lowcountry crab dip.