- Purée garlic and ginger in food processor to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in sauté pan over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add onion and pinch of salt. Sauté until translucent over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. (The salt helps the onions sweat quicker.)
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté until both paste and onions are golden brown, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add cumin, turmeric powder, and half the cilantro. Sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes.
- Cook over medium high until tomatoes start to break down, about 2–3 minutes. Add ½ cup water and okra.
- Cook until okra is tender and water starts to evaporate, about 3–5 minutes. Add salt to taste, garnish with remaining fresh cilantro, and serve over rice.