- Combine all ingredients and marinate chicken pieces in the juices overnight.
Banana Pepper Aioli
- Mince banana peppers and remove seeds.
- Place banana peppers into mixing bowl and combine with brine, mayonnaise, and sour cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate.
Frying and Assembly
- Combine first five ingredients for seasoned flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat lard in a medium cast iron pan. Melt butter separately.
- Coat the chicken in melted butter, then press the chicken into the seasoned flour, coating both sides evenly.
- Place breaded chicken into the medium-heat lard in the cast iron skillet.
- Once golden brown, turn over and repeat until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees for 15 seconds.
- Once fully cooked, remove from heat and top with sorghum and aioli.
- Serve with elderberry jam with chicken on the plate.