- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil water in a small pot.
- Toss all beets in a large bowl with vegetable oil and garlic. Add mixture to a deep casserole dish or roasting pan. Cover with foil and roast at 350 degrees for 1½ to 2 hours, until knife tender.
- Toast caraway seeds in a dry sauté pan over medium heat. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- When beets have cooled, peel gently with a paring knife, removing all skin. Cut into chunks and keep separated to prevent staining. Toss with olive oil, vinegar, fresh herbs, and toasted caraway. Set aside.
- Salt boiling water heavily. Drop leeks into boiling water for up to 1 minute, until tender. Strain into a colander and then submerge in a dish of iced water to chill completely. Remove and let dry.
- Cut hard-boiled eggs evenly. Cut two sides off of apple and thinly slice each side (tossing in lemon juice will prevent browning).
- Lay the marinated beets down on serving dish in an even pile with a large serving spoon, distributing colors evenly. Arrange rings of leeks over beets and scatter egg and apple on top. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top, drizzle extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to finish.