Plan your journey and see why the Northshore is where New Orleans has come to play and get away for more than a century.
St. Tammany Parish, aka Louisiana’s Northshore, is just 40 minutes from New Orleans’ French Quarter and a world away. Nestled among the oaks on the Northern shores of Lake Pontchartrain, the waterfront communities and cozy towns offer all the soulful food and Southern charm of the Big Easy, along with a slower pace for relaxing.
Paddle with Canoe and Trail Adventures and explore The Bogue Falaya Park. Canoe and Trail Adventures’ guides are Louisiana Master Naturalists offering canoe, kayak, and paddleboard rentals along the Bogue Falaya River off the docks of the Chimes Restaurant in Covington.
MUST SEE Check out HJ Smith & Sons General Store. History hangs in the air at this mercantile and museum, which has been in operation since 1876 and run by eight generations of the Smith family.
Lunch at Del Porto Ristorante across the street from the Southern Hotel, with fresh, house-made Italian fare.
LOCAL FAVORITE Chef David incorporates finds from the Covington Farmers Market.
Shopping downtown Covington boutique stores and art galleries:
- Columbia Street Mercantile: This chic boutique clothing store is a local favorite for all things fashionable.
- St. Tammany Art Association: St. Tammany is an artist’s haven. The St. Tammany SOUTHERN HOTEL Art Association, housed in a 19th century building, features two exhibits by regional and national artists.
- Saladino Gallery, located steps from the Southern Hotel, has become a regional art powerhouse, featuring works by some of the South’s finest artists.
- Copper Rooster Antiques & Gifts: This eclectic store is an antique shopper’s dream, offering items including English and French china, well-preserved stained glass windows, detailed shutters, vintage garden accessories, and more.
Cocktails at the Cypress Bar in the Southern Hotel. A great spot for locals and visitors to unwind in the Southern Hotel, the Cypress Bar offers stylish décor, a curated craft-cocktail menu, and a piano happy hour.
Dinner at Pyre Provisions in Covington. Chef Jeff Mattia’s new restaurant utilizes the earliest cooking methods—fire and wood—to execute flavorful dishes inspired by Southern and global influences, creating the ultimate dining experience.
Jazz brunch at Oxlot 9 in the Southern Hotel. Chef-owner Jeffrey Hansell perfects Gulf-inspired culinary artistry in his contemporary dining room in the Southern Hotel.
DON’T MISS Order the fried frog legs smothered in hot butter sauce.
Rent a bike with Brooks’ Bike Shop and cruise the Tammany Trace towards Abita Springs. The scenic, paved 31-mile Tammany Trace, Louisiana’s first rail-to-trail pathway, connects the towns of St. Tammany Parish.
Stop at the Abita Brewery for a local brew and short tour. Abita Brewery is Louisiana’s first and largest craft brewery. Self-guided tours are free and guided tours with tastings are just $8. The new facility offers an extensive tasting bar, New Orleans-style patio, beer garden, and everything Louisiana gift shop.
Cruise to the Abita Art and Farmer’s Market, open 11-3 every Sunday. A fun, funky farmers market with blown glass art, handmade wood crafts, custom jewelry, and even visiting goats.
TAKE HOME Home-baked treats with a sustainable focus.
Enter to win a getaway during Tammany Taste of Summer, August 1 – September 30, 2020.
What you’ll win:
- 2 night stay at the Southern Hotel in downtown Covington, LA
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for two at Tammany Taste of Summer participating restaurants
- Kayak or canoe rental for two with Canoe and Trail Adventures
- Two tickets for a boat tour of Honey Island Swamp
- Two tickets for an Abita Brewery tour
Getaway weekend awarded in June 2020 for eligibility in August – September 2020 during Tammany Taste of Summer. Certain restrictions will apply.
- by Erin Byers Murray
- by Hannah Lee Leidy
- by Hannah Lee Leidy
- by Julia Miller