A wonderful coconut cake recipe from The Blackbird in Asheville triple plays the coconut factor with coconut cream cheese frosting, coconut filling, and coconut vanilla cake. Triple Yum.
1 cake, made from 3 12-inch pans
4½ cups flour
1½ tablespoons baking powder
¾ tablespoon salt
1 pound butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
1½ tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup sour cream
5 cups heavy cream
1 pound butter
3 cups sugar
4 tablespoons (heaping) cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons cold water
9 cups shredded coconut
⅓ pound butter, room temperature
20 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
1½ pounds confectioners’ sugar
3 cups shredded coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and butter and flour 3 12-inch cake pans.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs until very light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and coconut extracts. Combine.
- Add cream and sour cream alternately with dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 18 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack before filling and frosting.
- Heat cream, butter, and sugar over medium-low heat until dissolved.
- Separately, make a slurry with cornstarch, vanilla and cold water.
- Whisk slurry into hot mixture and boil gently, stirring constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut.
- Chill overnight.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Incorporate sugar in increments, blending until smooth.
- Stir in coconut by hand
Not enough with just one type of coconut cake recipe to make at home? We have a recommendation for you for another one which is the peninsula grill coconut cake.
- from Roz Taubman of The Blackbird in Asheville, NC