5 pounds pickling cucumber, sliced
2 onions, julienned
⅓ cup salt
4 cups cider vinegar
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed
2 teaspoons dill seed
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons mustard seed
- Toss cucumbers and onions in a bowl with salt.
- Take a second bowl, fill with ice, and place over the cucumbers and onion and let it stand for 6−12 hours.
- For brine, combine the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, and pour directly over cucumber and onion.
- Allow to cool slightly and place in refrigerator for at least one day (and up to two weeks).
- Use as garnish on fried oysters with deviled egg sauce…or just keep on hand for snacking!
- From Evan LeRoy of Freedman's Bar, Austin, Texas