2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup onion, small dice
½ cup celery, small dice
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅛ teaspoon hot pepper powder (optional)
4 ounces whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
1⅓ cups chicken stock
¾ cup potatoes, medium dice
½ cup raw green beans, cut into ¹⁄2 inch pieces
¼ cup grilled corn kernels
½ cup sweet potatoes, medium dice
6-8 ounces cooked, shredded meat (pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit)
1 tablespoon flour
- Heat a heavy-duty sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and sweat onion until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add celery. Once celery is tender, add in the salt, pepper, and hot chili powder. Cook until celery almost sticks to the pan.
- Add in hand-crushed tomatoes, including resulting juice. Cook until juice is reduced halfway, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and white potatoes. Bring mixture back up to a simmer and add beans, corn, and sweet potatoes. Bring up to a simmer again and add meat.
- In a small pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and whisk in flour to create roux. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once potatoes are tender, slowly whisk in roux.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- from Chef Coby Lee Ming Of Harvest Restaurant, Louisville, KY