Yield: 5 servings
1 pound teres major steak (can also use filet mignon or other tender cut of beef)
2 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons whole-grain mustard
Salt and pepper
3 medium white anchovy fillets (boquerones), minced
½ teaspoon Tabasco
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced red onion
tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon chives, slivered
tablespoon cornichons, sliced into thin rounds
quail egg yolks, whites removed
Baguette, sliced and toasted
- Preheat grill to a high temperature for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat steak with oil, salt, and pepper and place on grill. Top meat with weight and cook until deeply charred, 3–5 minutes. Remove and place immediately in freezer for 2 minutes to stop cooking.
- Remove from freezer and small dice steak, mixing charred top crust with raw interior. Toss with next 9 ingredients until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Spoon onto 5 plates (servings should be about 3 ounces each) and mold into loose “hockey puck” shapes with a small indention in middle of each top. Place a quail yolk in each indention and serve with toasted baguette.
- from Executive Chef Landon Thompson and Executive Sous Chef John Castellucci of Cooks & Soldiers in Atlanta, Georgia